Amerisips Wins Green Builder’s 2014 Green Home of the Year Award – Best Alternative Structure
Reprinted from the Green Builder website, see the original story here
Amerisips panels are airtight and well-insulated. R-values for the ceiling and floor are R-32 and the walls are R-24.
Photography by Margaret Rambo
Based in Charleston, SC, Amerisips is the leading designer and builder of high-performance Free Energy Living buildings for residential markets in the Costal South Carolina. Amerisips homes integrate state-of-the-art building technologies that reduce energy and generate free energy for the lifetime of the new home or building. All Amerisips Homes are designed by Amerisips to be certified at the LEED Platinum level.
Free Energy Living means capturing free energy from the sun forever and cutting the electricity costs from 50 percent to 100 percent depending on available options. Starting with the Amerisips unique EcoShell high performance Structural Insulated Panel System, buildings can also be built to withstand winds up to 200 mph.
The “Charleston Lowcountry Charm Home” is designed and built to be certified by the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED for Homes at the Platinum level (certification submitted), is currently certified by the Department of Energy’s ZERO Energy Ready Home, and awaiting certification from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Indoor airPLUS program and Water Sense programs. This home was rated as a HERS 1 and submitted to USGBC for LEED Platinum rating, certifying the home to meet the highest quality standards in the U.S.
The Charleston Lowcountry Charm Home green design features include:
Amerisips SIPS panels cut energy bills by 50%
- Amerisips panels are airtight and well-insulated: R-values for the ceiling and floor are R-32 and the walls are R-24
- Amerisips panels are 2 to 3 times stronger than ‘stick-built’ materials
Advanced Air-to-Water Heat Pump
- Super efficient and super quiet HVAC system, dramatically cuts the amount of heating and cooling required.
- High velocity air system distributes perfectly conditioned air to any occupied space.
- Significantly reducing humidity – by as much as 30% more than traditional HVAC systems. Humidity is the number one enemy of comfort and air quality.
Free Energy from the Sun
- Advanced Photovoltaic and Solar thermal solar systems capture free energy from the sun.
- System can generate most or all of the electricity your home uses during the day.
- If you don’t use all the electricity your roof makes, the excess power flows back through your meter into the power grid.
Energy Recovery Ventilator & UV Filtration
- Whole house ventilation system that reduces energy costs by cutting heating and cooling loads.
- Helps manage continuous supply of fresh air while dehumidifying incoming air, reducing the possibility for mold growth.
- Removes contaminants, which cause mold, mildew or poor air quality.
- In-duct UV filtration system filters out contaminants and allergens such as dust and bacteria.
Nest Learning Thermostat
- Auto-Schedule-Nest remembers the temperatures you like and programs itself
- Auto-Away-Nest saves energy by automatically turning itself down when you’re away
- Airwave-Automatically cuts up to 30% of your AC’s runtime if your home isn’t too humid
Builder: Amerisips Constructors, LLC | Charleston, SC Building Designer: Jeff Johnson, ABS Design Group, LLC | Charleston, SC Interior Designer: Eliza Linton, ABS Design Group, LLC | Charleston, SC
Click Floorplan(s) to Enlarge View
Alternative Building Systems: SIPS OSB with ESP Foam Panels (8.25″ roof & floor R-32; 6.5″ walls R-24)
Appliances: Energy Star Appliances: Thermador, 36″ Built-in Bottom Freezer/Refrigerator; Pro-Harmony Gas Range, Thermador Professional Handle & Full Flush Dishwasher, Samsung Large-size Front-load washer & dryer
Building Envelope: SIPS OSB with ESP Foam Panels (8.25″ roof & floor R-32; 6.5″ walls R-24
Caulks and Sealants: All low VOC
Cabinets: Haas Cabinetry, KCMA/ESP Certification
Exterior Finishes: Certainteed Board Siding
Fireplace: Heatilator, Rave Series 42″ Gas Fireplace
Flooring: US Floors Natural Bamboo, Locking Solid Strand Woven Bamboo Floors
Home Controls: 3 Nest Thermostats
HVAC/Ducts: Daikin Altherma Air-to-Water Heat Pump (17.5 EER) & Unico small Duct/High velocity HVAC w/2″ducts/36 CFM – HVAC System in conditioned space in house.
Lighting: 90% of the lighting is Energy Star rating and/or LED lights.
Paints and Stains: Sherwin Williams Eco-Select Zero VOC Interior Latex paint
Plumbing Fixtures: Water Sense dual flush Toto Toilets, ALl WaterSense Faucets & showerheads (Moen & Toto)
Renewable Energy System: 6Kw Kyocera Advanced cell processing Technology Series KD250GX-LFB2 Multi-crystalline Panels, Daikin Athema air-to-water hydronic system integrated with Hellodyne Solar Hot Water Solar Collector – New SRCC ratings certify that the GOBI now ranks among the 10 best OG-100 collectors.
Ventilation: Balance ERV<67cfm, 67.0 watts with UV filtration Water Heating: Daikin Electric with integrated Hellodyne GOBI 406 solar-thermal, 95ER, 80Gal.
Windows: PGT Low-e Double Hung, .34 U-Factor & SHGC
Skylights: Velux .46 U-Factor: .27 SHGC with remote controlled shades
Front and Back Doors: Plastpro Fiberglass Door – U= .16